LAMBRETTA D-RACER 1956
Jun 09, 2016
Lambretta D-racer 1956
The Model 'D' started life in December of 1951, when a 125cc (123cc) version was introduced. The 'D' was basically an update of the earlier 'C' with many improvements being made. The looks and frame work of the D pretty much stayed the same as the earlier C model, tubular in design, with the same layout for the fuel tank and rear tool box. The engine was a new design, it still had a cast iron cylinder and an air cooled aluminium cylinder head. The 3-speed gearbox was operated via a single teleflex gear cable. More power and speed was gained, power was up to 5bhp, with a claimed 47mph top speed. Fuel consumption was in the region of 140mpg from the new MA18 carburettor.
Finned drum brakes at the front and rear of the scooter provided its stopping power, the rear brake being rod operated. At the rear of the scooter, just above the number plate, a small round brake light was fitted. Unlike previous models the front fork tubes now enclosed the front suspension springs and the rear suspension was provided by means of a torsion bar. The 125 D was available in a choice of colour schemes; grey, beige and green. On either side of the petrol tank were Lambretta decals.
The D was offered with accessories such as a spare wheel holder and a pillion seat, but the best selling point of the D was the cheap prices (£108 in 1956 undercutting Vespa's) and servicing costs, helped make the 'D' and its sister the plusher LD very popular When production of the 125 D first series ceased in January 1953 a total of 69,000 125 D's had been built.